Paul C K Wee
BCL (Oxon.), MA (Oxon.)
Called to the Bar: 2010 (England and Wales); 2014 (BVI)
Paul is a barrister practicing from 3 Verulam Buildings in London, specialising in commercial litigation, international commercial arbitration, and investor-state arbitration. Recommended by Chambers and Partners and the Legal 500 as a leading junior barrister in the fields of international arbitration, energy and natural resources, and public international law, Paul’s clients include governments, corporations, financial institutions, and individuals, and his practice spans a diverse range of sectors, including investment disputes, banking and finance, oil and gas, energy and infrastructure, mining and exploration, telecommunications, IT, manufacturing, and entertainment and media.
Paul is described by the directions as “brilliant, a go-to junior for investment treaty arbitrations“, and “a real grafter and an excellent advocate“. He is “extremely strategic, knowledgeable about international law, enormously hardworking, and a pleasure to work with“, as well as “an excellent drafter and a very straightforward guy who is very polished“. The directories note that Paul is “phenomenally hardworking, knows the law inside out and extremely reliable and thorough in his legal analysis“.
Examples of Paul’s current and recent cases include:
• State v. Investor (confidential) : Paul is acting in proceedings before the English Commercial Court concerning a challenge to an investor-state arbitral award
• Yukos v. The Russian Federation: Paul has been acting for the Russian Federation to oppose the enforcement in England and Wales of highly-publicised USD 50bn arbitral awards obtained by the former shareholders of Yukos under the Energy Charter Treaty
• World Wide Minerals Ltd v. Republic of Kazakhstan: Paul is acting for the Republic of Kazakhstan in a USD 2bn investment arbitration (UNCITRAL Rules) concerning uranium mining concessions
• The Turkcell Litigation: Paul acted for a major Turkish bank in relation to a USD multi-billion telecoms dispute with a Russian entity, involving LCIA arbitration and BVI court proceedings
• The RBS Rights Issue Litigation: Paul was instructed by RBS and its former directors, defending the GBP multi-billion group action brought by subscribers to its 2008 rights issue
• Alhambra Resources Ltd v. Republic of Kazakhstan: Paul is acting for the Republic of Kazakhstan in a USD 500m ICSID arbitration arising from the failure of a gold mining venture
• Stati v. Republic of Kazakhstan: Paul has been acting for the Republic of Kazakhstan in successfully resisting the enforcement in England and Wales of a USD 500m arbitral award concerning oil and gas investments in western Kazakhstan. The enforcement proceedings concluded in the award creditors discontinuing enforcement proceedings and undertaking never to seek the enforcement of the award in this jurisdiction: see Stati v. Republic of Kazakhstan  EWHC 1348 (Comm),  2 Lloyd’s Rep 201 and Stati v. Republic of Kazakhstan (No.2)  EWHC 1130 (Comm),  1 WLR 3225
For more information on Paul’s practice, or details on how to instruct Paul, please visit Paul’s profile on the 3VB website by clicking the button below: